Pada akhir unit ini siswa diharapkan mampu :
- melafalkan kata-kata dalam bacaan terkait dengan environment
- mengidentifikasi makna kata-kata yang berhubungan dengan environment
- mengidentifikasi berbagai informasi yang terdapat dalam teks yang berhubungan dengan environment
- menggunakan pola kalimat simple present tense dengan be
- menggunakan pola kalimat simple present tense dengan article
- Melengkapi bacaan rumpang dengan kata yang tepat.
- A. LETS LISTEN.
Listen and repeat.
living things [ÈlIvIN TINz]
non-living things [nn ÈlIvIN TINz]
Match the terms with the definition.
|1. environment||a. things that are alive.|
|2. living things||b. the air, water, and land on which people, plants, and animals live|
|3. pollution||c. all the living things in an area|
|4. pollutant||d. to be gone|
|5. ecosystem||e. damage to environment|
|6. extinct||f. harmful substances|
- B. LET’S READ.
Read the text, and complete the table.
An ecosystem is all the living and nonliving things in a certain area. All the plants and animals are living parts of an ecosystem. Even the microorganisms that live in the soil are also living parts of an ecosystem. Air, water, and rocks are nonliving parts of an ecosystem.
(Microsoft ® Encarta ® 2008)
Read the text
Animals and plants are living things. However, they are different. Unlike plants, animals cannot make their own food. Animals eat other living things—plants and other animals—to get energy. Animals also have senses, such as eyes or ears. The senses tell them what is going on around them.(Microsoft ® Encarta ® 2008)
Is each statement below true or false according to the text above.
a. Animals are living things. T/F
b. Plants are not living things. T/F
c. Animals make their own food. T/F
d. Plants make their own food. T/F
e. Animals eat other living things. T/F
6. Plants can smell. T/F
7. Animals hear and see things. T/F
This is another text to read. Read it and answer the questions.
Pollution is harmful because it can kill or sicken plants, animals, and people. Pollution can change the environment. Things that cause pollution are called pollutants. When the pollutants harm the air you have air pollution. This pollution irritates people’s lungs. Two other kinds of pollution are soil and water pollution. Soil pollution damages soil and water pollution damages water.
( Microsoft ® Encarta ® 2008)
- Why is pollution harmful?
- What are pollutants?
- What are the two kinds of pollution besides air pollution?
- What does each kind of pollution damage?
C. GRAMMAR POINTS
Study the following sentences.
- a. A cat is an animal.
- b. Human beings are living things.
- c. An animal is different from a plant.
- d. Microorganisms are also living things.
- e. Animals and plants are parts of an ecosystem.
- f. Animals and plants are living things.
- g. Air, water, and rocks are non-living things.
- h. Pollutants are harmful to living things.
- i. Soil pollution and water pollution are dangerous to human beings.
What sentence pattern do you see in the sentences above?
(‘is’ or ‘are’)
different from a plant
Animals and plants
parts of an ecosystem
Air, water, and rocks
harmful to living things
Arrange the following jumbled words into correct sentences.
- cat – a – living – a – thing – is
- cats – living – dogs – are – and – things
- rock – a – non-living – is – thing
- are – microorganisms – living – very – small – things
- plants – animals – parts – are – of – ecosystem – an – and
- is – pollution – harmful – environment – to
- pollutants – are – chemical – substances – some
- a – pollution – killer – to – animals – plants – and
- pollutants – things – are – that – cause – pollution
- a – safe – forest – ecosystem – this – is
Develop the following words into correct sentences. Add to be ‘is’ or ‘are’ and article ‘a’ or ‘an’ if necessary.
- tiger/living/ thing
- chemical/substances/harmful/to /environment
- acid/rain /kind of /pollution
- air/pollution / serious/ problem/everywhere
D. LET’S SAY
Practice the short dialogue about pollution below with a classmate.
Student : Is there anything we children can do to reduce pollution, Sir?
Teacher : Yes, sure. There are three things that you can do.
Student : Can you tell me?
Teacher : First, plant trees in your place. Secondly, walk to nearby places.
Student : What is the third, sir?
Teacher : Save electricity
Student : I see.
E. LET’S WRITE
Complete the following text with the words in the box.
You can do something to help us reduce environmental __________. Some choices __________ available.
First, do not ask for __________ bags when shopping. Bring your cloth bags instead for your shopping stuff. Secondly, use your __________ less frequently. Walk to nearby places. Thirdly, save electricity. Do not keep the __________ playing music when you are not in the room. Do not keep TV on when you are not awake. The fourth choice is planting __________. This is one of the best ways to reduce environmental pollution. Promise yourself that you plant __________ young tree every week. If you do not have enough space you may plant a young tree in a __________. Another best way is recycling. Make paper bags out of your __________. You may sell or use them. Use natural or make compost from your degradable waste in the house.
If now you know how to reduce environmental pollution, do your bit every __________. Help the Environment, Help Yourself!
(Adapted from Buzlle.com)
- F. FUN ACTIVITY
What is it? Answer the following riddles?
1. If you let me live, I shall soon die; if you kill me, I shall live long.
2. If you look at me, you cannot see me.
3. If I look at it, it looks at me; if I laugh, it laughs.
Some of the sentences below are wrong in grammar. Correct them.
- This one of the best ways to reduce pollution.
- Some chemical substances are pollutants in the water.
- c. Cow is a living thing.
- There some kinds of pollution.
- You can reduce pollution by planting young trees everyday.
- Pollution dangerous because it can harm environment.
- People plant tree in pots when they do not have enough spaces.
- Animals are not the same as plant.
- Air, water and rocks is parts of an ecosystem.
- Recycling one of the best ways to reduce pollution.
- How well can you do these things? Check (√) the boxes.
- Part of this unit that I like most is ________________________.
I. WORD LIST
|environment (noun) n(ipmm(((|
noun[InvaI«r«nÈmentl]lingkunganliving thingsnoun[ÈlIvIN TINz]
benda hidupnon-living thingsnoun[nn ÈlIvIN TINz]benda matipollutionnoun[p«ÈluùSn]
dari bahan kimiairritateverb[ÈIrIteIt]